Adding new bike parking in Grey Street by moving the motorcycle parking around the corner to Featherston Street
We’re proposing to provide parking for about 20 bikes in Grey Street (next to the public toilets and showers).
If approved, we plan to talk with people with bikes about the type of end-of-trip and parking facilities that could be provided in this area before finalising the design. Covered parking is a possibility in this location.
What would change
- a new parking space for bikes would be designed and developed
- existing motorbike parking in this spot would move just around the corner to Featherston Street adjacent to the small existing motorbike parking space
- two 2-hour pay-and-display car parking spaces on Featherston Street would be removed to provide space for the motorbikes
- With the existing motorbike parking on Featherston Street, there would be space for about 18 motorbikes – about the same amount as there is at the moment
How this will help
Providing safe and convenient bike parking is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to support cycling as a travel choice
It provides an essential facility for people with bikes. More bikes in public places also help promote biking as a transport mode.
- The feedback period on the traffic changes (resolutions) related to this proposal was 25 July to 11 August 2017. Councillors are expected to make a decision in mid-September. If approved, the changes to the street are likely to be made in early 2018.
- This change is one of six proposed improvements designed to improve connections and make it safer and easier for people to get places in the central city by bike that we are currently seeking feedback on.
- Incremental changes like these – combined with the more substantial changes likely through the Let’s Get Wellington Moving project – will together help create a better network.
- Other changes recommended by the Central City Working Group are being considered. Some – including improvements to some existing crossings to the waterfront – may happen as part of an ongoing upgrade programmes. Others will require traffic resolutions that will be advertised at a later date.
Supporting documents for Grey Street - bike parking