Adding new bike parking in Grey Street by moving the motorcycle parking around the corner to Featherston Street
We will be putting parking for about 20 bikes in Grey Street (next to the public toilets and showers) in 2018. How the area will be designed is still under consideration. Covered parking is a possibility.
- a new parking space for bikes will be developed
- the existing motorbike parking in this spot will move just around the corner to Featherston Street adjacent to the small existing motorbike parking space
- two 2-hour pay-and-display car parking spaces on Featherston Street will be removed to provide space for the motorbikes
- With the existing motorbike parking on Featherston Street, there will be space for about 18 motorbikes – about the same amount as there is at the moment
How this will help
Providing safe and convenient bike parking is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to support cycling as a travel choice
It provides an essential facility for people with bikes. More bikes in public places also help promote biking as a transport mode.
This change is one of a series of planned changes to improve connections and make it safer and easier for people to get places in the central city by bike.
Incremental changes like these – combined with the more substantial changes likely through the Let’s Get Wellington Moving project – will together help create a better network.
- The feedback period on the traffic changes (resolutions) related to this proposal was 25 July to 11 August 2017.
- Councillors approved the proposal in mid-September 2017.
- Other changes recommended by the Central City Working Group are being considered. Some – including improvements to some existing crossings to the waterfront – may happen as part of an ongoing upgrade programmes. Others will require traffic resolutions that will be advertised at a later date.
Supporting documents for Grey Street - bike parking