Separate bike and pedestrian spaces are being developed on Hutt Road.
What to expect during construction
The work will be completed in sections. In each, you'll see contractors:
- Digging up and removing the old kerbs and the drainage channel (gutter)
- Putting in new sections of kerb and channel, and bike-friendly stormwater grates
- Using a mobile crane (Hiab) to remove lamp posts
- Breaking and removing old asphalt and concrete
- Laying new concrete (future footpath) adjacent to the buildings and asphalt (future cycle path) adjacent to the road
Where work is happening:
- Areas will be fenced and coned off for safety reasons
- People on bikes and on foot will have safe access through or around the construction area at all times
- Pedestrian access will be provided to all businesses at all times but small detours may be in place
- There will be some noise at times particularly where old concrete driveways are being removed
- Traffic lanes will operate as usual at peak times but parts of the lane closest to the footpath will be closed at other times while certain jobs are carried out. Traffic management will be in place.
- There will be diggers, construction vehicles and other machinery operating at times.
- Surfaces may be uneven so take extra care