Proposed solution: Bike lanes both sides of the road and parallel parking
Why this solution?
This would be a low-cost way to make interim safety improvements for people on bikes along part of Thorndon Quay.
- Bike lanes would be painted on the road between the parking and traffic on both sides of the road between Davis Street and Mulgrave Street.
- The width of the bike lanes would vary from 1.6m to 2.4m.
- All angle parking on the Westpac Stadium side would be changed to parallel parking.
- There would be 45 parallel car parks on this side of the street (reduced from the 97 spaces currently provided).
- 11 parallel car parks outside the city end of Capital Gateway would be removed.
- All 10 hour parking would change to 2 hours.
- No changes to parking on the western side.
- Traffic lanes would be narrowed to 3.5m, except where they are already narrower.
- The painted median strip would be shifted slightly with minor changes in width.
- The morning peak citybound clearway would be retained.
Read the full traffic resolution (227KB PDF) and plans (5.1MB PDF)
See how the proposed changes compare to the current layout